In 2013 Goulburn Mulwaree Council granted permission for this building to be converted from a private residence to a multi-purpose museum facility. It was officially opened on 27 September 2015 and houses permanent and temporary exhibitions as well as an office, volunteer area and a meeting room.
The Fireman's Cottage was constructed at the same time as the pumphouse (1883-1885). It provided accommodation for the fireman (boiler attendant) and his family. The boilers were fired 24 hours a day seven days a week and required constant firing, observation and maintenance.
The first family to live in the cottage was the Geoghegan family. Robert Hebden Sidney Geoghegan commenced employment as the first fireman in early 1886. Robert died in 1891 and as a result his son Robert Jnr gook over as fireman.
Robert Jnr was 20 years old when he took over from his father, firstly as the fireman and eventually becoming the engineer sometime after 1922. Robert Jnr was employed at the Waterworks (owned by Goulburn City Council) for 49 years.
Robert Jnr married Annie Brogan in 1897. They had six children born at the Waterworks between 1899 and 1913.
You can read more about the Geoghegan family in Goulburn Historic Waterworks, Human Connections: The Geoghegan Family available to purchase at the Waterworks.